Monday, August 19, 2013

My New Hanging Files!

This weekend I invested in a roll of zebra striped duct tape for my classroom, and after I finished the one little thing I needed it for, I had an ENTIRE roll of tape and no plans to use it.  So today, after some major Pinteresting, I decided to make an ultra-fancy hanging file system.  I found a few examples that I really liked including this one from The Silver Lining
The Silver Lining: Make your own filing system with hanging folders, duct tape, and stickers. easy way to get organized 
and this one from Classroom DIY


but I still couldn't really figure out how to do it...so I winged it (wung it?), but I included a detailed pictorial just in case you want to try it out for your self.  Here we go...

I started with 6 red folders from Staples, and I decided that I wanted them all to have the same middle tab.


...and then I lined them up, and of course I eyeballed it because I didn't feel like searching the house for a ruler.


Then I added the duct tape.  I lined it up along the top edge of the back of the folder (the folder is open in the following pics.  I then attached the back of one folder to the front of the next, starting from the bottom and working upward.





Finally, in order to add zebra stripe to the top of the files, I topped one side of an extra file folder with the duct tape, and fastened it to the back of the entire file system.  I also taped them all together on the back for extra support.





And here's the final product...




BUT...that's not all!  From here, I decided to go ahead and hang it in my classroom...and since I wasn't exactly sure how to do that, I decided on MORE DUCT TAPE! So yes, I duct taped it onto my wall and filled it with student resource pages.

Now, if you are a better think-through-the -details person than I am, you would have realized that the folders weren't actually far enough apart to put the papers in and still be able to read the labels...but instead of starting over, I improvised and made little arrow labels to distinguish between each folder.


And finally, here is another photo with the files in the context of my classroom

Well, that was my big project for today...my classroom is almost ready, so hopefully a room tour is coming soon!






4 comments:

  1. Super cute! I was lazy and bought a file-tastic :)

    Stephanie
    Tales of Teaching in Heels

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really good read for me, Must admit that you are one of the best bloggers I ever saw.Thanks for posting this informative article about Hanging File Folders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post really a great post. I inspired from your this post. I want to do something awesome for me. Please write more like this for us.

    ReplyDelete